What To Do If Debt On Your Credit Card Statement Is Not Yours

By Vineet at April 6, 2010 | 12:00 am | Print

Do you have a credit card and you found that a debt on your credit card statement is not yours? then not to worry, because you are entitled to have the debt validated.

In that case , if the company which has issued credit card not been able to prove that the debt you incurred is your debt, then you can dispute the amount and have it removed from your credit report. Even you can file a lawsuit against the creditor.

In US The federal law allowing consumers to dispute or have a debt validated is the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

What Is Debt Validated:

With this law ,consumer can inform a debt collector in writing that a debt, or any portion thereof, is being disputed. A consumer has the right to request the name and address of the original creditor.

According to about,to be valid, your request for debt validation must be submitted in writing. You can dispute the entire debt, part of the debt, or request the name of the original creditor. After receiving your dispute, the debt collector cannot contact you until it has provided you with the requested information.
Your debt validation letter should be sent in writing. It’s best to send the letter via certified mail with return receipt requested. This way, you have proof of the letter’s mailing and receipt by the debt collector. If you have to file a lawsuit against the debt collector, the certified and return receipts will help strengthen your case.


If a creditor unable to prove a debt on a credit card account, then according to law, he would not be allowed to collect the debt, contact you about it or even cant report it to any of the credit reporting bureaus.

You must also remember that creditors who violate law can be sued for damages for any violation of this law. A creditor found in violation could have to pay up to $1,000 to the plaintiff plus actual damages, and other reasonable attorney and court fees.

What To Do If Creditors Is Not Responding:

After complaining about disputed the validity of a debt to the creditors and even then you did not received any response or a response you do not agree with, you should consult with an attorney who specializes in consumer protection laws about filing a lawsuit on your behalf.

Money Matters , , , , ,

Related Posts

Post Your Comments